DIY photo editing apps
Photo editing made easy
If you’ve received your photos but wish you could just tweak the color, contrast, brightness, or even a double chin, we have some great options for you that many of our Shoott staff use for their own photos (myself included: see example photo)!
There are a number of convenient and free/affordable apps that allow you to edit photos right on your phone. In fact, we find phone-based apps are typically easier to work with versus desktop solutions. Our favorites include:
Filters: One of the quickest ways to browse through different looks. Instagram has its own, but if you want to play more, some of our favorite options include:
- VSCO (free option or $19.99 a year): Offers tons of different filters you can browse through to tailor to your tastes
- Etsy (filters for purchase): Great if you want certain standby “looks” to apply to your photos
Photoshop fixes (free!): Sometimes, certain angles just do not work in your favor. So for tweaking facial features or body parts, Photoshop fix is a powerful and easy tool to use. Our most-used functions include:
- Liquify: easily select facial features to make adjustments or Warp body parts to tweak them.
- Smooth: remove unwanted texture (e.g. wrinkles) with a simple click. Click multiple times for more smoothing – just be careful to not overdo it so it doesn’t look artificial.
- Healing: zoom in on your photo and use Spot Heal if you have small blemishes or elements you’d like to remove (small stains, acne, etc).
Individual adjustments: Available on any photo-viewing program. The four most helpful elements to adjust for include:
These tools may take some playing around to achieve your desired look, but once you learn them, they are very effective and convenient for creating your signature style.